How FSSAI Registration eligibility in India works?

Food business must acquire an FSSAI registration. However, the registration does not fall to a specific license because India offers different types including Registration, State License and Central License.

Below is the summary of each license requirement:

State license

  • Dairy units – It includes the milk chilling units that are equipped to handle or process. To become eligible for the license, the production must be 501 LPD to 50,000 LPD of milk. It’s equivalent to 2.5 to 2500 MT of milk solids per annum.
  • Vegetable Oil Processing Units – It includes vegetable oil processing unit. It also includes the units producing vegetable using an oil expeller unit and a solvent extraction unit. To be eligible, the production must be up to two MT per day. 
  • Slaughtering units – For slaughtering units, a large animal must be more than two up to 50. For small animals, it must be more than 10 up to 150 and for the poultry birds, it must be more than 50 up to 1000 per day.
  • Meat processing units – For the meat processing units, it must be up to 500 kg meat per day.

For other food processing units such as cereals, grains and pulses milling unit, to be eligible, the production must be between 100 kg/lt to two MT per day.

Central license

  • Dairy Units that produces more than 50,000 LPD of milk is eligible for the central license. The equivalent value in metric tonnes is more than 2,500 milk solids per annum
  • For the vegetable oil processing units, the number of units to be produced is twice the number required by the state license. The required units for the central license are more than two MT per day.
  • For other food processing units such as cereals, grains and pulses milling unit, to be eligible, the production must more than two MT per day.

Other business

Other business, which is other than manufacturing are also eligible for the two types of license. The businesses include normal storage, cold storage, atmosphere controlled storage, wholesaler, food vending agency, transporter and hotel.


FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. It implements the FSS act that concentrates on the regulation of food business activities and operations. The department ensures that all food business operators follow the law.

If you’re entering the food business, you must acquire the license needed for your business. As mentioned above, you must first identify the type of business you have and the amount of product produced by the company.

You must also ensure that you secure the entire document needed including a photo ID issued by Government authority and a photo of FBO.

You must also provide the blue print of processing unit and equipment, address proof issued by Government authority, proof of possession of premises and list of food products, partnership deed, declaration form, NOC & Copy of License from manufacturer, proof for turnover (for transporter) and list of directors with full address and contact.


Kelle Maurer

Kelle Maurer