Grease Gun – Why Is It Important in Machinery?
When operating a machine, it is a must to observe proper lubrication to prevent the possibility of premature machine breakdown. The problem is 34% of machines experienced premature breakdown because of improper lubrication. Therefore, it is of utmost importance to pay particular attention to the machine’s lubrication, especially choosing the best lubricant. When it comes to choosing lubricants for machines, some factors need to be considered, such as the following:
- Type of lubricant
- Filling method
- The most suitable time to fill the lubricant to the machine
Choosing the right lubricant is essentially significant, as the wrong one can do more harm than good. The common problems with lubricants include the following:
- Too little or too many lubricants placed in the machine
- Using the wrong type of lubricant
- Lubricant is contaminated with different particles
Improper handling of machinery, including the wrong lubrication type or technique, can increase the possibility of machine malfunction. Supposedly, lubrication is a part of the maintenance process, but the wrong choice of lubricant and wrong practices can alter the machine’s normal functions. As a result, it leads to the machine’s premature damage.
The significance of using grease gun
For the proper amount and type of lubrication, you can count on a grease gun (กระบอก อัด จาร บี, term in Thai). There are many types of grease guns available in the market today. Regardless of the type and brand, a grease gun can offer the following advantages:
- It is useful in various industries as it offers safety, comfort and meets the standards set by such industries, including agricultural machines, construction, industrial plants, and general use.
- It works perfectly with lawnmowers, especially in lubricating spindles, axle pivot, and lawn mower deck pedal lift.
- A grease gun is also helpful in lubricating the chainsaw’s bar nose bearings allowing the chain to rotate with less friction.
- Light and heavy-duty automobiles can benefit from a grease gun. The same thing goes for sports utility vehicles, especially the ones needing lubrication in grease fittings.
- A grease gun is widely used in factory equipment, and machines as such enable you to reach hard-to-reach fittings of factory machines and equipment.
What to keep in mind when using a grease gun?
- When using the grease gun, you have to observe safety measures such as keeping your face away from the discharge port. That way, the possibility of spraying the lubricant on your face can be prevented. It also prevents machine dust and chemicals from getting close to your face.
- When operating the grease gun and working with machines, it would help a lot if you are going to wear protective equipment, including eye protectors, gloves, and shoes.
- Make it a habit to check the grease gun on a regular basis.
- Use the grease gun according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If the gun is damaged or broken, you should not use it to prevent any untoward incidents from happening.
Keep the machine clean at all times as such can greatly affect the quality of grease.